former (antes)

669 139 0869

former (antes)

669 139 0869

5) CFE - Electric Company

1) How to require service?

2) How can I pay?

3) How can I change the service User name?

To change the name of User in CFE electtic bill you will require to do it in person in local CFE office.

You will need copy of the following;

1) Current receipt paid

2) ID of old User

3) ID of new User

4) Rental Contract or Proof of purchase (Escritura)

5) Predial receipt paid

6) Last receipt

7) Letter to explain the reason for changing

8) Constancia RFC (Tax ID in Mexico if apply)